Monday, February 8, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Growing up, I can always remember my mom doing some Spring Cleaning...it usually involved all of the cleaning we enjoyed the least but had to do. I admit that as I have grown up and have my own home, Spring Cleaning is something I have not always done! I keep my floor boards clean throughout the year and get rid of cobwebs as I see them, but never anything formal. After living in Texas for 4 1/2 years and trying to pack up and get the house ready to sell has forced me to do A LOT of spring cleaning and reorganizing. I can honestly say it has never felt better or more rejuvinating. I feel like my home is better organized and livable! I have never been good at keeping the paperwork organized but I have a great filing system now and don't feel like the papers are stacking up around the house anymore! It is actually quite liberating. Now if I could just tackle those taxes!

Spring Cleaning actually has its tradition rooted in Catholic tradition! I read a wonderful article in the Catholic Spirit and wanted to share some of the nuns thoughts. Lent has always been a time to "clean up your soul". It is 40 days every year that the Church asks us to evaluate our spiritual life with Christ. Most Catholics think of Lent and immediately think of giving something up like chocolate, coffee or TV. But Lent is so much more than that. First you must evaluate your relationship with Christ. How often do you pray? No relationship can grow unless you put time into it....so how much of your busy, fast paced life do you give to the Lord each day? If you struggle with this, Lent is a great time to make a change and begin spending 15-30 minutes of quiet time each day with the Lord. Second, Catholics are asked to fast during lent. Fasting can be so many different things but it is showing discipline to God by giving up something that we need to even though it may be difficult. It could be things like gossiping less, talking less and listening to others more deeply, but it should be something that will benefit our spiritual lives. Third, the discipline of almsgiving. This could be giving money to a charity or donating your time to help someone else. Whatever it may be, time should be spent in prayer with God trying to discern what he is asking you to do! Lent is a great time for forgiveness as well, whether living or not. So, dig deep and ask for forgiveness or forgive someone who has wronged you. It is also a great time for the sacrament of Reconciliation! Clean up your soul along with your home.

Another article went bedroom thru bedroom in helping you "spring clean" your spiritual life. Here are some questions she posed:

1. Living/Family Room - What influences are we bringing into our home? Are there movies, tv shows and music that are compatible with the lives God has called us to live?
2. Library/Study - What are we feeding our minds? Do our reading and Internet-surfing habits help us to be people God made?
3. Playroom - Do we take time to relax and enjoy life? Do we share with one another as we should?
4. Kitchen - Are we being good to the bodies God gave us? Are we eating nutritious food? Are we making good use of resources? Are we recycling? Are we giving to those who have no food to eat? Are we working together and doing our fair share around the house?
5. Dining Room - Do we make time together as a family a priority? Are we considerate and empathetic as we talk to one another?
6. Bedroom - Are we spending time each day talking to God? Do we dress with dignity and modesty, remembering that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit?

Lots to think about and evaluate ourselves. It makes me realize that while my house may be physically clean, I have a lot of spiritual cleaning that needs to happen!

Here is a great Bible Verse for the week:

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phillipians 4:8

No comments: