Caleb has been doing speech therapy for 3 months now and I am happy to report that we are starting to see some progress! For a while, I was not noticing much difference, though the speech language pathologist kept telling me that she was hearing subtle changes. About 2 weeks ago, he went from using only one word at a time to more phrases with 2 to 3 words. His clarity has not changed. For example, when Caleb says "Monkey" he say "Muh Muh". He often takes the first syllable and doubles it up. However, Monday was an exciting day because he said something I had never heard before. Normally he would say "mouse" as "Mow". But on Monday, he said "Mow-sss". He had added the "s" on at the end. I noticed again when he said "yes". I jumped for joy, literally, when I heard this!
I recorded a few phrases he has been saying lately that show a big progress in his speech:
1. have grapes please
2. me stir Noah
3. you have mom?
4. mac mac cheese
5. very dark here
Most people have a difficult time understanding what Caleb says, even Brian. Caleb is naturally shy but he doesn't really talk around other people because he is aware of his speech problems. He is content to just observe and engage me when necessary. Caleb is an intelligent little boy and all the thoughts are there, just getting them to come out clearly is an issue. Last night he completely surprised me in the bath tub as he named off his letters. I had no idea he knew any letters, but apparently he does. I have to give Super Why credit for that as I have not worked with Caleb on letters; he has many years ahead of him to accomplish that. Caleb's learning world is all about play right now!
I do everything I can to encourage him to talk more and when he does, I praise him for it. I am able to figure out 99.9% of the time what he needs or wants as long as it is in context. I am so proud of him for continuing to try and I think that within the next year, we will see marked improvements! Praise God because I know it could be so much worse!



No comments:
Post a Comment